It was the turn of the last century – 1906 – when a Baptist college affiliated with McMaster University opened its doors to a brand new campus in Summerland called Okanagan College, with 26 students. The name stuck, but the college didn’t. It would take more than 50 years and much machination of vision and determination for a post-secondary institution to truly take hold. The turning point came in 1960 when the federal government started offering up funds under the new Technical and Vocational Training Assistance Act which provided provincial governments with up to 75 per cent assistance towards the cost of new buildings and equipment. Kelowna signed up, and by 1963 B.C. Premier W.A.C. Bennett, himself from Kelowna, opened the $1.7-million B.C. Vocational School – Kelowna, located far from the small city’s downtown core on K.L.O. Road. This marked the beginning of what the region knows today as Okanagan College, and formed the nucleus of what was to come.